Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Richard Zeier - CD Review

I just got a new CD Phenomenation in the mail from Richard Zeier. (Richard is one of the remaining EMU-Ensoniq PARIS DAW holdouts. PARIS is an obsolete computer-based recording system that sounds startlingly good considering it has been dead for years now. I am another PARIS hardcore holdout myself, so when I had the chance to meet Richard and see his beautiful studio, I jumped at it.)

I was expecting good audio, but honestly I was even more impressed with the heart and spirit of his music. This disc sounds like a lifetime of passion, faith and love poured into a little shiny disc. Very impressive.

The music is progressive, well-composed, with touches of fusion and lots of classical elements. There is a touch of new-age feel throughout as well, but the music rarely loses its muscles. I have been recovering from a painful leg injury and this made me want to jump up and go run for a mile or two!

Richard is clearly a first-rate musician, both on guitar and keys. He never shows off, but you get the feeling he could if he wanted to. Very tasty and always the right part.

I really like this disc.

Phenomenation also sounds really good. Richard proudly announces in the liner notes that the whole thing was recorded in PARIS and mastered by Gavin Lurssen at The Mastering Lab and the audio quality delivers. Everything is very clear and sweet sounding, the bass is granite-solid and in just the right proportions, while the Vienna Symphonic samples sound like real orchestral parts.

The CD is professionally manufactured, not duplicated, with great graphics throughout and on the disc itself. The art is beautiful and moody, and he included one of my favorite touches; a clear CD tray with more art behind it. Yeah!

Gripes? Well, ok, a couple of times I wished for a bigger guitar sound. (Maybe a Hiwatt and a 4x12, but then I am a hard rock guy)

Richard has a terrific CD here, one I recommend heartily. I have always said that I care less about big-time success than I care about knowing that my very best is there on the disc. After that, it is out of my hands. I wish Richard great success with the disc, but in the end, no matter how many he sells, (and he should sell millions in my opinion) he surely knows that he pulled it off, he ran the race, and he won.

http://www.richardzeier.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home